Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
From Good Housekeeping. Triple-tested at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute. Milkshake fans will adore these bars. The frosting is made with malted milk powder and sprinkled with chopped malted milk balls.
- 3⁄4 cup butter (salted or unsalted, 1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (4 ounces)
- 2 unsweetened chocolate squares (2 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Malted Milk Topping
- 3⁄4 cup instant malted milk powder (plain or chocolate)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted, softened)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups malted milk ball candies (coarsely chopped, about 5 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray a 13" by 9" Pyrex baking pan with cooking spray. For easier cutting, line pan with parchment paper or foil, extending it over short ends; grease parchment paper or foil.
- Prepare chocolate base:.
- In heavy 3-quart saucepan, melt butter and semisweet and unsweetened chocolates over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat.
- With wooden spoon, stir in granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Beat in eggs until well blended. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into chocolate mixture.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted 1 inch from edge of pan comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Prepare Malted Milk Topping:.
- In small bowl, stir together malted milk powder, milk, and vanilla until blended.
- Stir in butter and confectioners' sugar until blended.
- With small spatula, spread topping over cooled bars; top with chopped malted milk ball candies. Allow topping to set.
- When topping is firm, transfer with parchment paper or foil to cutting board. Cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 8 pieces.