Recipe by drhousespcatcher
A nice borshch from the Ukraine by way of soupsong that takes mods well. Example if you don't look at the broth you are putting in and put ham. If you run out of red wine vinegar and use red wine and a touch of white vinegar instead. Plain no fat yogurt instead of sour cream because you forgot to buy some That sort of thing..
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red beets, peeled and cut into 1/8 x 2-inch strips
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional with the wine replacement
- 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 4-6 canned)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 quarts beef stock
- 1⁄2 lb cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 lb ham, cut into cubes
- 1 lb leftover cooked beef, cut into small chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh dill
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onions in a bit of broth or butter for about five minutes.
- Stir in the beets, then add vinegar[or wine and vinegar], sugar [optional], tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and a few grindings of pepper.
- Pour in 1/2 cup of the stock, cover, and simmer for an hour.
- Pour the rest of the stock into the soup, add the chopped cabbage, and bring to a boil. Stir in the ham and beef, parsley and bay leaf, and simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, ladle into bowls, sprinkle with chopped fresh dill, and serve with a bowl of whipped sour cream.