1/1 Photo of Mallorcan Braised Grouper
1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from The New Spanish Table. Prep time is the time to make the vegetable mixture, which may be prepared a day in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium white onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 3/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and cut into strips
- 2 yellow bell peppers, roasted and cut into strips
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 1/2 cups swiss chard leaves, chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves only, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup dried currant
- 4 thick grouper steaks
- salt and pepper
- flour, for dusting fish
- 4 large yukon gold potatoes, boiled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium low heat.
- 2Add onion and garlic and cook until soft but not browned, about 7 minutes.
- 3Add paprika and red pepper and stir for a few seconds.
- 4Add peppers and tomatoes, increase heat to medium, and cook until the tomatoes begin to release their juice, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in chard and parsley and cook, stirring, just until wilted, 3-4 minutes.
- 6Add bay leaf, wine, and currants.
- 7Heat to simmering.
- 8Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until vegetables are softened and flavors blended, 5-7 minutes.
- 9At this point the mixture may be covered and refrigerated up to 1 day, or you can finish the dish right away.
- 10Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 11Season fish with salt and pepper.
- 12Heat remaining oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- 13Dust fish lightly with flour and saute for about 30 seconds on each side. Remove and set aside.
- 14Place potatoes in a single layer, overlapping slightly, in a baking dish large enough to hold the fish snugly in a single layer.
- 15Sprinkle lightly with salt and arrange fish on top.
- 16Remove bay leaf from vegetable mixture and discard.
- 17Season mixture with salt and pepper and spoon vegetable mixture and juices evenly over fish.
- 18Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with pine nuts.
- 19Bake at 300° until very tender, 45-50 minutes depending on thickness. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mallorcan Braised Grouper
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.7
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 84.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 16.7 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: