2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Found at the Clabber Girl website; content corrected from previous attempt to post.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons clabber girl baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
Milk Chocolate Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa, measured, then sifted
- 2 -4 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 (12 ounce) jar marshmallow ice cream topping, warmed slightly
- miniature marshmallow
- grated milk chocolate
- chocolate syrup or ice cream topping
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F Generously spray a 10-inch spring form pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the pan on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet.
- 2Melt the chocolate and allow to cool. Meanwhile, in a mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and well blended. Fold in the eggs, yolks, vanilla and chocolate extract and blend well, 2-3 minutes, scraping the bowl often to ensure nothing is stuck in the well of the mixer bowl. Blend in the melted chocolate, and then fold in the cream, ice water, flour, cocoa, Clabber girl Baking Powder, baking soda and salt and blend well, on slow speed of mixer to make a soft, smooth batter, about 2-4 minutes.
- 3Pour into prepared pan. Bake until cake springs back when gently touched with fingertips, about 65-75 minutes. Cool cake well, and semi-freeze 30-45 minutes before icing/assembling.
- 4For the icing, blend all ingredients in a food processor until stiff and glossy.
- 5For the glaze, melt the chocolate in a microwave and stir to smooth, adding in the corn syrup and butter. Set aside until it is thickened or cooled (refrigerate to hasten chilling).
- 6To ice, cut cake in half horizontally. Semi-freeze the layers first 20-45 minutes for easier handling. Turn the flatter side (the bottom) of the cake down. Ice bottom layer with the chocolate frosting.
- 7Top it with the other layer, also having the bottom of the cake facing you (rounded surface is what you press onto icing of first layer). Press down lightly.
- 8Smear the marshmallow topping on the cake. Chill 30 minutes. Pour or smear on chocolate glaze. Use any extra glaze or icing to ice the sides of the cake or any exposed areas (if any remain). Top with miniature marshmallows and grated milk chocolate. Drizzle on chocolate syrup.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mallomar Deep Chocolate Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.8
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 135.5 mg
- Sodium 188.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 41.6 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ice cream topping