Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe for onion bhajees comes from Malik's takeaway in Cookham, UK.
- 6 large onions
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red lentil, soaked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 1 pinch coriander powder
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon gram flour
- Chop the onions and potatoes into small pieces.
- They have to cook in the deep fryer and be small enough to roll into a ball-- so no big chunks!
- Put in a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl, except for the gram flour, and mix well.
- Sieve the gram flour over the top, the mix again.
- Making sure the onions are well coated.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to a medium heat.
- Roll the onion mix into balls and place in the fryer.
- Cook until golden brown, turning once during frying.