Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A copycat from the menu of "Sizzler", which was a copycat of "Monterey Chicken", which was a copycat of "Chicken Cordon Bleu".... So copy away.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pound 'em thin)
- 6 slice cooked ham
- 6 slice swiss cheese
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml pepper
- 177.44 ml fine dry breadcrumb
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 14.79 ml water
- 4.92 ml mustard
- 59.14 ml mayonnaise
- Stir egg and 1 tablespoons water together with a fork.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper and coat each chicken piece, dip into egg mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs making sure to press crumbs in firmly.
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown chicken 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Place browned chicken on cookie sheet or oven proof platter, top each piece with a slice of ham and slice of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees, until cheese melts.
- For the dipping sauce combine mustard and mayonnaise.
We make this dish even easier. Instead of breading the chicken we like to use the pre-made chicken patties from Costco or Sams Club and put the ham and cheese on top. By doing it this way the dish takes about 4 minutes to prep.
This is a great recipe, I've been making it for awhile now. I take a super shortcut and use breaded chicken patties from Tyson. I bake them as directed then add the ham and cheese and bake until it's melted. The sauce is identical tasting to Sizzler's. They used to be my favorite meal to order there, now they are easy and delicious to make at home!
For a healthier version, and to save time, I used Progress Italian Breadcrumbs (instead of the flour, S&P) and fat free spray butter to coat the chicken (although I am wondering if I could use the mayo/mustard sauce as the base before dredging in the crumbs... hmmm... I did not prefry, just baked in oven with the ham and cheese (covered with foil until the last 10 minutes) and baked for 40 minutes. Super good. I am sure the fried version is superb as well, but my way worked great! I will definitely be making this again! It's so easy!