Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
I created this for a good friend who is diabetic.
- 1 loaf sugar-free pound cake
- 1 jar sugar-free strawberry jam
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 200 g sugar-free bittersweet chocolate
- Cut the pound cake in half lengthwise, and then crosswise into 12 pieces, resulting in 24 chunks of pound cake.
- Heat the jam in the microwave until runny.
- This is best done by first putting in into a microwave-safe bowl, if you heat in in the jar you are REALLY asking for trouble.
- Whip the cream together with the pudding mix.
- Grate the chocolate coarsely, either by hand or in the food processor using the steel knife.
- Put the trifle together in a large clear bowl in the follwing order--------.
- Place half the cake cubes in the bottom of the bowl.
- Drizzle with half of the jam.
- Cover with half of the vanilla cream.
- Sprinkle half the chocolate on top of the cream.
- Chill for about two hours before serving.
- Prepare yourself for ooohs and aaaahs and a few dumb jokes about it being a"trifle" much or a"trifle" sweet.
Every other dessert recipe on earth has vanilla in it, one way or another. So I used sugar-free banana pudding (not the "instant" variety), and dumped some rum onto the sponge cake. Not too bad at all.