Member #610488's Note:
This was served at a recent dinner party and was a great hit. You do need to marinate the wings overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 lemongrass, stalks finely chopped (bottom third only tough outer layers removed)
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed
- 1 piece ginger, peeled chopped (1 inch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice, concentrate (not paste or pulp) or 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (such as nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- vegetable oil (for grill)
- lime wedge (garnish)
- 1Combine coconut milk, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, jalapeños, ginger, lime juice, tamarind juice, fish sauce, kosher salt, turmeric, and 1 cup water in a blender. Purée mixture until a smooth marinade forms.
- 2Place chicken wings in a large baking dish. Pour marinade over; turn wings to coat evenly. Cover chicken and chill overnight.
- 3Remove chicken from marinade, shaking any excess marinade back into dish. Transfer chicken to a large platter. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- 4Transfer marinade to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until marinade thickens, 10-15 minutes. Pour half of marinade into a small bowl; set aside for basting chicken while it grills. Keep remaining marinade in saucepan; cover and keep warm until ready to serve the chicken.
- 5Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Oil grill grates to prevent sticking. Grill chicken wings, turning every 5 minutes and basting occasionally with marinade in small bowl, until fat is rendered and skin is nicely charred in spots, 30-35 minutes. (The key here is to turn the wings often so the skin doesn't burn.).
- 6Continue cooking chicken without basting (so it will get crisp) until wings are cooked through, about 10 minutes longer.
- 7Transfer chicken to a large platter and let it rest for 5 minutes. Squeeze lime wedges over wings. Transfer marinade in saucepan to a small bowl. Serve warm marinade alongside chicken as a dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Malaysian Turmeric and Lemongrass Chicken Wings
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 890.6
- Calories from Fat 599
- Total Fat 66.6 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 262.1 mg
- Sodium 1484.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 64.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: