1/1 Photo of Malaysian Style Oxtail Soup
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Grace Lynn's Note:
This broth is so flavorful and so authentic. It tastes sort of like the Vietnamese "Pho" beef noodle soup. The only thing missing is the star anise. This will make you look like a seasoned-cultured cook!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs oxtails, 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, halved,peel left on
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro, roots and stems lightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick, 3 inches long
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 dried red chili
- 4 cups beef broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons finely slivered peeled fresh ginger, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon finely slivered garlic
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1Place the oxtails, onion, garlic, cilantro sprigs, cinnamon stick, cumin, coriander, and chile in a heavy soup pot.
- 2Add the broth and water to cover the ingredients by 1 1/2 inches.
- 3Bring to just a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer covered for 2 hours, skimming any foam that rises to the surface.
- 4Season with salt and pepper and cook uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- 5The oxtail should be very tender.
- 6Remove from the heat.
- 7Remove the oxtails and shred the meat from the bones, discarding the bones and any fat.
- 8Set the meat aside Strain the broth through a very fine strainer.
- 9Cool for at least 1 hour so that the fat rises to the top.
- 10Skim off all the fat and discard.
- 11Return the broth to the soup pot.
- 12Add the ginger and slivered garlic.
- 13Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 14Return the shredded meat to the broth and cook another 5 minutes.
- 15Stir in the cilantro and cook 1 minute longer.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Malaysian Style Oxtail Soup
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 22.6
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 289.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: