Recipe by Skipper/Sy
Many recipes in Malaysia are based on several ethnic cultures (Malay, Chinese, Indian….) and can be seen in this recipe. This is a very delicious Malaysian chicken and with a mild curry, coconut and lime sauce. You can vary the various ingredients according to taste, enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs whole chickens, small
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder (Madras Curry)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper (chili sauce, substitute sambal ulek)
- 3 cups chicken stock (bouillon cubes or from a can)
- 1 cup coconut milk (from a can, found in Asian and Hispanic markets)
- 3 tablespoons ghee (or margarine, peanut oil)
- 2 limes, cut 1 lime into wedges and used 1 for lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 sprigs cilantro, wash and remove the stems (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any excess fat from the chicken, cut off the small tips from the two chicken wings and set aside.
- In a cup add the curry powder, onion, garlic, pepper/chili sauce and a little salt, mix and set aside.
- In a large pot (big enough to hold the chicken and stock) add 2 cups chicken stock and 1/2 cup coconut milk and bring to a low boil.
- Then add the curry powder, onion, garlic, pepper/chili sauce, salt taste (optional) to the pan, stir well.
- Next add the chicken and turn in the sauce, add more stock if necessary so that 3/4 of the chicken is covered.
- Simmer the chicken for 20 minutes and then turn over carefully in the sauce. Continue to cook in the sauce for another 35 minutes turning the chicken a few times and spoon the sauce over as needed (Note-some of the chicken skin may come off, which is not a problem).
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Next reduce the cooking sauce in the pot (scraping the bottom of the pan if needed) to a fairly thick sauce (might take 15 minutes or longer).
- While the sauce is being reduced, in a wok (or another large pan) add the ghee, and when it is hot, fry the chicken to a golden brown on all sides (Optional).
- After the sauce has been reduced stir in the lime juice and add salt to taste (optional).
- Next add the whole chicken back to the sauce in the pot and turn a few times in the sauce.
- Remove to a nice serving dish, pour the sauce over and then add some cilantro leaves for garnish and lime wedges on the side.
- Enjoy with rice and some vegetables.