Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Beef (or pork, or elk, or whatever) marinated in a coconut milk curry, grilled, and drizzled with satay sauce. From "The Essential Curries Cookbook" by Steer (2008). My roommate said, "I don't know what 'satay' is, but we need to make it more often!"
- 1 lb beef steak, cut into long, thin strips (or other meat)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 red chilies, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed (or finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 7 fluid ounces coconut milk
- 1 red chili pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 fluid ounces fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- If you're using wooden skewers, soak them for 30 minutes prior to grilling so they don't burn.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add the fennel and fenugreek and fry until they start to pop (30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Add the chillies, garlic, and curry paste. Fry another 2 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat and mix in the coconut milk. Put mixture in a large ziploc with the meat and marinate at least 30 minutes (overnight is best).
- Heat grill to high. Skewer the meat and grill 8-10 minutes or until cooked.
- While meat is grilling, place red chile, lime juice, fish sauce, peanut butter, peanuts, and green onions in a small saucepan and heat.