1 hr 35 mins
This is one of my family's favorites!!! Very aromatic and spicy delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced chili peppers, of choice (optional)
- 5 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 3 pints chicken stock
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and large dice
- 1 cup coconut milk or 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lb chicken parts (or more)
- 1In a small bowl, combine the flour, cayenne, cinnamon and cloves and mix well.
- 2Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- 3In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 4Add the chicken pieces in single layer and cook until well browned (about 3-4 minutes), remove to platter.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and cook until just begin to color (about 5 minutes).
- 6Add the ginger, garlic, chili pepper and curry powder, and cook stirring constantly for one minute (At this point you can put it in a crockpot).
- 7Add stock, the browned chicken and the sweet potatoes, return to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour, covered, until chicken is cooked through.
- 8Stew may be served at this point or may continue to cook over very low heat for 1-2 hours or longer.
- 9Just before serving, add the coconut milk, season to taste with salt and continue to cook for one more minute.
- 10Removed from heat, add the cilantro and mix well.
- 11You can serve in a bowl over rice or couscous.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Malay Style Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.9
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 65.9 mg
- Sodium 457.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 29.0 g