Recipe by Zurie
I am indebted to our famous Malay cooking queen, Cass Abrahams, for this recipe. I suppose it's for serious cooks who like experimenting with cuisines other than their own. It makes quite a lot, and as spices do not keep their flavour for much more than 3 months, you might want to halve the quantities. I give both US and metric ingredients. The prep and cook time given are mere guesses in this case!
- 1⁄2 ounce cardamom pod
- 18 ounces coriander seeds
- 5 ounces cumin seeds
- 1 ounce clove, whole (or use 1/2 the amount in ground cloves)
- 2 ounces black peppercorns
- 1 ounce cinnamon stick (or use 1/2 the amount in ground cinnamon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius.
- Spread the mix of spices in an oven dish or tin, and roast lightly for about 7 - 10 minutes. This brings out the flavours.
- Grind all together -- a blender is best, but a coffee bean grinder also does a great job.
- Store in an airtight container out of direct light. Use as recipes indicate.