Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The most simple recipe to make rendang, but it still taste delicious. You can use the same ingredients and directions to make chicken rendang (enough for 1 whole chicken). Try it & You wont't regret
- 1 kg beef, cut into small pcs
- 1 -2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 large onion, pounded
- 2 lemongrass, crushed
- 3 cm ginger, pounded
- 3 cm galangal, pounded
- 4 tablespoons chili paste
- 5 small hot pepper
- 4 tablespoons coconut paste or 4 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 leaves kaffir lime
- 1 leaf turmeric (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- star anise
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice
- Mix beef, pounded ingredients, curry powder, turmeric powder, lemon grass, chilli paste, water, cinnamon stick, star anise, in a deep cooking pan.
- Cover and cook for 30 min or till beef tender.
- Add tamarind juice, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, coconut paste, salt and paper to taste and cook for 15 min or till sauce thick.
- Serve hot over white rice, white bread or glutinous rice.
Next time I'll cut the spices by half - too hot for the younger taste buds in the family. I really enjoyed it, though, and will make it again!
Thank you for an excellent dinner last night DH loved it. I didn't use all the ingredients as I couldn't find galangal, kaffir lime and lemongrass in my local but none the less it was excellent; a bit too hot to my taste and I didn't even used hot peppers, perhaps my curry powder was already quite spicy. Will be making this again.