Recipe by fluffernutter
Malanga is a tropical root vegetable that is used like a potato and is especially delish in this salad. Unfortunately, it turns a drab shade of brown when boiled. The recipe is from The Purple Kiwi Cookbook by Frieda's (the fruit and vegetable importer). It's a fun, adventurous cookbook.
- 1 lb malanga, root peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 roots)
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
Red Onion Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice or 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the malanga in the broth, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Combne the malanga, black beans and roasted peppers in a large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar or bowl and mix well. Pour over salad. Chill for up to 24 hours.