Recipe by Mary Scheffert
From my grandmother's Czech cookbook - posted in reply to a recipe request.
- 2 dozen ladyfingers, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup milk, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup strong black coffee
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup softened sweet butter (ie, unsalted)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almond
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, cornstarch, coffee& egg yolks in top of double boiler and cook over boiling water until pudding consistency.
- Remove from heat, and let cool.
- Cream butter with sugar and add the pudding mixture by tablespoon-fulls, stirring constantly.
- Add almonds& vanilla.
- Line a cake pan with one-third of lady fingers; put half of pudding mixture on top.
- Repeat layers, with the last third of crumbled lady fingers on top.
- Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate overnight with a weight on top, so that the pudding will be absorbed by the cake.
- Serve with whipped cream on top.