Recipe by Brian Holley
Delisious curry, eay to cook, a good vegetarian dish. However should you want to add some chicken to the recipe, it still works well, and, saves having to cook a separate second dish. You can sub the cream for yoghurt, and use any vegetable of your chosing.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 red chilies, seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, open at one end
- 1 inch cinnamon stick, broken up
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 potato, in 1-inch cubes
- 1 carrot, sliced into rings
- 1 courgette, cubed
- 4 ounces green beans, in 1-inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 140 g tomato paste
- 5 fluid ounces single cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons coriander (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a pot. Add the red chillies, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stickand the bay leaves. Cook till the bay leaves turn golden brown.
- Add the onion and cook for 2 mins, reduce heat and add the garlic and ginger, fry for 4 minutes.
- Add all of the vegetables, sprinkle with the chilli powder, add the corriander powder, cummin powder and turmeric. Stir well to incorporate the spices.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, mix cover pot and cook for 15 mins, do not let the pot dry out. Add water if the pot becomes too dry.
- Add the tomato paste and salt. Reduce heat to low and cook covered till veg is tender.
- Stir in the cream and garam masala. Recover the pot and remove from the heat, allow to stand for 2 mins before serving. Garnish with the fresh chopped coriander.
- Serve with plain boiled rice.