Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
From this week's Weekend magazine, Foodcourt column which is this week on "Masalas and Gravies"(meaning the basic spices curry mixture) that goes into Indian cooking:)
- 500 g tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 4 green chilies, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 5 cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, julienned (cut into thin strips)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kasuri methi
- 1⁄2 cup butter (makhan)
- 3 -5 saffron strands, crushed and soaked in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup cream (malai)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook tomatoes in 2 cups of water.
- Add green chillies, ginger and garlic pastes, red chilli powder, cardamoms, cloves, salt and sugar.
- Cook over low heat until it becomes thick and of sauce consistency.
- Remove from flame.
- Allow to cool.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add the butter and cream.
- Stir and mix well.
- Add the kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and ginger strips.
- Stir well.
- Add the saffron.