Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
From this week's Weekend magazine, Foodcourt column which is this week on "Masalas and Gravies"(meaning the basic spices curry mixture) that goes into Indian cooking:)
- 500 g tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 4 green chilies, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 5 cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, julienned (cut into thin strips)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kasuri methi
- 1⁄2 cup butter (makhan)
- 3 -5 saffron strands, crushed and soaked in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup cream (malai)
- Cook tomatoes in 2 cups of water.
- Add green chillies, ginger and garlic pastes, red chilli powder, cardamoms, cloves, salt and sugar.
- Cook over low heat until it becomes thick and of sauce consistency.
- Remove from flame.
- Allow to cool.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add the butter and cream.
- Stir and mix well.
- Add the kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves) and ginger strips.
- Stir well.
- Add the saffron.