Delicious little diamonds of tangy almond delight! Easy to make and very much appreciated by all. Perfect for Eid celebrations or any special (or not so special!) ocassion. I also make these using a mix of desiccated coconut & ground almonds - 150g ground almonds + 200g desiccated coconut. You can freeze these and then put the syrup and icing sugar on later. I like to make a few things in advance so I'm not cooking 24/7 just before Eid etc.
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well - traditionally with your hand.
- Dust work top with a little cornflour, seperate the dough into 1/4's and then roll mixture into a sausage shape - approximately the thickness of a frankfurter or average thumb!
- Cut the sausage into 3cm pieces. Do this at an angle to create lozange or diamond shapes.
- Bake on middle shelf at approx 170°C until set but still pale in colour. THEY SHOULD NOT BE golden.
- When cooled slightly, drop one by one into the syrup. Hold on a fork and allow excess to dribble off before slowly dropping into the sugar.
- Re-dip with sugar 5 mins later and pop into paper cases.
- For the syrup you can make it easily by putting 2 cups of water, a halved lime and 1 cup of sugar in a pan and boiling for 10 minutes. It needs to be nice and light - just enough to hold the icing sugar on.