1/1 Photo of Makrout a Louz - Algerian Almond Cakes #2
Um Safia's Note:
Delicious little diamonds of tangy almond delight! Easy to make and very much appreciated by all. Perfect for Eid celebrations or any special (or not so special!) ocassion. This is for the lemon ones - more traditionally they are lime.... You can freeze these and then put the syrup and icing sugar on later. I like to make a few things in advance so I'm not cooking 24/7 just before Eid etc. I also make these with a mix of 250g desiccated coconut + 100g ground almonds - just as tasty & a fraction of the cost!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the makrout
- 709.77 ml ground almonds
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 3 lemons, zest of, finely grated
- 3 small medium eggs
- 44.37 ml cornflour (maize or cornstarch)
- 473.18 ml of light sugar syrup
- 591.47 ml icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1Place the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well - traditionally with your hand.
- 2Dust work top with a little cornflour and roll mixture into a sausage shape - approximately the thickness of a frankfurter or average thumb!
- 3Cut the sausage into 3cm pieces. Do this at an angle to create lozange or diamond shapes.
- 4Bake on middle shelf at approx 170c until set & still pale - about 12-14 minutes THEY SHOULD NOT BE DARK.
- 5When cooled slightly, drop one by one into the syrup. Hold on a fork and allow excess to dribble off before slowly dropping into the sugar. Re-dip with sugar 15 mins later and pop into paper cases.
- 6For the syrup you can make it easily by putting 2 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar in a pan and boiling for 10 minutes It needs to be nice and light - just enough to hold the icing sugar on.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makrout a Louz - Algerian Almond Cakes #2
Serving Size: 1 (921 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.4
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 5.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 16.8 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of