Recipe by Marlitt
This is a very traditional Polish dessert. This is a recipe my grandmother got when they lived in Poland for 10 years. We usually have this at Christmas and other special occasions. It’s a fairly rich, potent dessert so if children will be eating this you can leave out the alcohol and use 1 tsp each of rum and almond extracts to give the flavor. It is similar to a tiramisu but we use stale or toasted raisin bread or egg loaf slices. You could probably substitute lady fingers.
- 2 cups poppy seeds, ground
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 tablespoons honey
- 3 ounces rum
- 6 ounces Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup raisins (pre-soaked in a little rum)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 loaf raisin bread (sliced 3/4 thick)
- 2 ounces chocolate, shaved (bitter sweet)
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a day before because this needs to refridgerate over night.
- It is sometimes difficult to find ground poppy seeds so I use the poppy seeds, put them in a coffee filter and pour boiling water over the poppyseeds twice, to soften them up, then put them in the food processor, set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat bring the milk, cream and butter almost to a boil.
- While constantly stirring with a wooden spoon, add the honey, rum, amaretto, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, and almonds.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let this cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat off and add the ground poppy seed, stir twice and let the mixture sit for 10-15 minute( its important to have the heat off because the poppy seeds can become bitter if heated too much).
- The mixture should be slightly thickened.
- In a large glass bowl alternate layers the poppy seed mixture and the bread slices, starting with a ladle of the poppy seed mixture and ending with poppy seed mixture.
- Should be 3 – 4 bread layers.
- Cover the top with chocolate shavings and almond slices.
- Cover and put in the fridge overnight.
- We just serve this out of the bowl like a trifle, it is fairly firm you could probably slice it.
- Can be served with whipped cream.
- ( It lasts in the fridge for at least a week).