1/3 Photos of Makowiec (Poppy Seed Cake/Roll)
1 hr 50 mins
A traditional Polish dessert, especially popular during the Christmas season. My grandmother used to make one for each son, or else they would fight over them! It's a lot of work, but totally worth it, it's delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 3 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1For the dough: Mix together yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- 2Pour in milk, stir until dissolved.
- 3Whisk in 1 cup of flour, cover, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes.
- 4Stir in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- 5Knead remaining 2 cups flour and butter into yeast mixture, adding each alternately a little at a time.
- 6Kneed until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes.
- 7Place dough in a large bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 8For the filling: Simmer poppy seeds in a medium pot full of water until soft, about 40 minutes.
- 9Drain and puree in a food processor, about 4 minutes.
- 10Return poppy seed puree to same saucepan.
- 11Add sugar, butter, raisins, almonds, vanilla extract, and honey.
- 12Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- 13Set aside to cool.
- 14To Cook: Preheat oven to 350*F.
- 15Roll out dough to a 16" x 12" rectangle.
- 16Whisk egg white in a bowl into stiff peaks, fold into the poppy seed filling.
- 17Spread over dough, leaving a 1" border all around.
- 18Fold dough lengthwise in thirds to form a long log.
- 19Pinch ends to seal.
- 20Place cake on nonstick baking sheet, brush with beaten egg white, and bake until it sounds hollow when tapped, about 50 minutes.
- 21Cool before serving.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makowiec (Poppy Seed Cake/Roll)
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.0
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 39.4 mg
- Sodium 106.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 8.3 g