Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
from "Sahtein, Middle Eastern Cookbook" and from Rita Rukab Harb who taught me to make it. This is a great recipe for the crock pot. Because of high blood pressure, I don't add the salt during cooking - instead we salt at the table.
- Saute onion and meat together in butter.
- Add salt and spices. Add broth or water and cover. Let meat simmer over moderate heat until tender.
- Break cauliflower into medium size florets. Sprinkle with salt. Fry in deep, hot oil until dark brown, the darker the better. When it looks almost burnt to me, I know its right. Drain on paper towels.
- Add cauliflower on top of meat. Add uncooked rice on top of cauliflower. Make sure that all are covered by broth. Add more if necessary to cover.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 40 minutes, or until rice is tender and broth/water is absorbed.
- Traditionally, this dish is allowed to cool for 30 minutes and then the pot is turned upside down in a large platter. It is then garnished with pine nuts and served with plain yogurt. I just dish it from the pot because my family can't wait 30 minutes now that the whole house smells so yummy.