1 hr 10 mins
Chef #491715's Note:
Arabic dish with chicken eggplant and rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant
- 6 -8 chicken pieces (legs,drumsticks,breast) or 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 3 cups basmati rice (elephent brand is good)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 onion, cut in thin slices (like half moon shaped)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 7 spices (allspice or Arabic spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1Fry eggplant till golden brown in a frying pan with veggie oil, set aside.
- 2Fry chicken on high heat in a large pot in olive oil until brown on all sides and add salt, pepper, and Arabic spice(all spice,7 spice same thing). Just add by your eye no certain amount matters.
- 3Remove chicken from pot and add the slices onions, fry in the oil (same pot and same oil used for the chicken) until soft about 4 minutes and add chicken back in the pot.
- 4Fry all together for another 3 or 4 minutes and then add water, about a little more then half the pot.
- 5Keep the heat on max and add the chicken stock, the turmeric, about 1/2 teaspoon more of the allspice for more flavor and salt, add enough salt to taste, keep adding and tasting until you have the right flavour, then add the bay leaf and the cardamom pods.
- 6Cover and let it come to a boil then turn down to 6 or to medium for about 40 minutes.
- 7When it done drain the stock in other bowl or pot and put the chicken on a plate.
- 8Wash the rice and drain; do not soak.
- 9Add the chicken to the bottom of the same pot you used (no need to wash it), then add some rice over the chicken.
- 10Add half the eggplant over the rice (layering).
- 11Then add some more rice on top of the eggplant (layering).
- 12Add the rest of the eggplant and layer on the rest of the rice, push down on the food to make it all even and smooth.
- 13Now add the stock.
- 14Add the stock and use your pointing finger to know how much stock to put. When you dip your finger in the makloubeh and the tip of your finger touches the rice and the water to the first line on your finger, it is enough stock. We have three lines on our finger--the first line is telling you it's enough stock.
- 15Then cover and bring to a boil for about 6 to 8 minute.
- 16Then turn it to the lowest mark MIN until its ready, about 30 min to 40 minutes. Check with fork to see if rice is ready.
- 17When done, bring a large round serving dish. Put the dish on top of the pot and flip it over. Remove pot and add some toasted nuts (almonds, pine nut if you want).
You Might Also Like...View All Palestinian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makloubeh
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.8
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 133.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: