Recipe by Scots Lass/Cairo
This is a famous Arab-style dish which is frequently made for parties. It is very filling. Numerous regional variations exist, often adding different vegetables and spices. I was given this recipe from a lady from Jordan, and have adapted it to our tastes. Best served with a mixed salad and a yoghurt and cucumber salad. Enjoy!
- 1 kg lean ground beef
- 3 large aubergines
- 2 cups sunflower oil
- 450 g basmati rice or 450 g brown basmati rice, if you prefer
- 2 large onions
- 1 teaspoon mixed Arabic spices or 1 teaspoon allspice, if you prefer
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 liters cold water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons of melted butter
- 200 g blanched split almonds, chopped if you prefer
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice under running water. Rinse it well and leave aside to drain.
- Chop the onion very finely and peel and slice the aubergine lengthways.
- Heat half of the oil gently in a lidded saucepan. Add the chopped onion, mix well and reduce the heat. Cover the pan with the lid and allow to cook about 3 minutes.
- Mix the onion well, and add the minced beef.
- Using a fork, break it up in the pan, increasing the heat for a few minutes.Cover the pan once more and allow to simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- In another pan, heat the remainder of the oil. Add the sliced aubergines, and fry them until golden on both sides.
- Remove the fried aubergine with a fork and drain very well on kitchen paper. This is a very important step to avoid the aubergine being excessively oily.
- Mix the spices and salt with just under two litres of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place half of the cooked minced beef mixture in the bottom of a large greased ovenproof dish. Cover this with half of the fried aubergine slices & sprinkle with half of the rice. Repeat these layers finishing with rice. Pour spice mixture over casserole. Place in the centre of oven 325F & bake for 1 hour or until rice is tender. Heat the melted butter and fry the nuts until golden. Remove the cooked dish from the oven, turn it out on to a serving dish and garnish with the fried nuts and pour over the melted butter.