Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This famous dish is rich in flavour, thanks to the yogurt, butter and cream. This is my wifes favourite curry dish, it could be yours too. It is the dish which I adapted to make BUTTER CHICKEN BALTI STYLE.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 pint plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 6 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 8 dried red chilies
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 pint fresh single cream
- Mix together in a large bowl the yogurt with the lemon juice. beat well.
- In a grinder grind the cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves,chillies and the peppercorns, till fine. Mix the spices into the yogurt.
- Add the chicken stir well to ensure that the meat is coated with the spice mix. Allow 2 hours to marinate.
- Crush the ginger and garlic with the salt to make a pulp.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the garlic and ginger pulp, for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and cook for 10 mmins.
- Add the tomato puree and butter, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pan put the tomatoes and ground cinnamon, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer to reduce the mix by half.
- Rub the tomatoes through a sieve and add to the chicken, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and stir.
- Serve with plain boiled rice.