Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Clean Eating, Fall 2008. Times are approximate, and some of the ingredients have been modified so as not to be so "clean".
- 1 head garlic
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeld and cut into thick slices
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 3 fresh tomatillos, husked
- 1 small poblano chile, peeeled and seeded
- 2 ancho chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 lb sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 cup pineapple, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Cut a thin slice from the top of the garlic head, anoint with a few drops of olive oil, wrap in foil and place on a roasting or baking sheet with onion, tomatoes, tomatillos and poblano chili. Roast at 400 F for 25 minutes.
- Toast ancho chiles in a dry skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, turning often. Remove, seed, then cover with hot water in a bowl for 20 minutes.
- Combine roasted onion, tomatoes, tomatillos, poblano chili and pulp squeezed from the head of garlic in a food processor and puree. Scoop puree into a separate bowl and set aside. Rinse food processor's work bowl for later use.
- Combine ancho chilies, oregano, cumin, thyme, cinnamon and cloves in food processor and puree, adding a little chicken stock if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and saute until meat begins to brown. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and ancho chili puree to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add remaining chicken stock, sweet potatoes, honey, raisins, pineapple, apple, roasted vegetable puree and chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.