Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Clean Eating, Fall 2008. Times are approximate, and some of the ingredients have been modified so as not to be so "clean".
- 1 head garlic
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeld and cut into thick slices
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 3 fresh tomatillos, husked
- 1 small poblano chile, peeeled and seeded
- 2 ancho chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 lb sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 cup pineapple, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium granny smith apple, cored, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Cut a thin slice from the top of the garlic head, anoint with a few drops of olive oil, wrap in foil and place on a roasting or baking sheet with onion, tomatoes, tomatillos and poblano chili. Roast at 400 F for 25 minutes.
- Toast ancho chiles in a dry skillet over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, turning often. Remove, seed, then cover with hot water in a bowl for 20 minutes.
- Combine roasted onion, tomatoes, tomatillos, poblano chili and pulp squeezed from the head of garlic in a food processor and puree. Scoop puree into a separate bowl and set aside. Rinse food processor's work bowl for later use.
- Combine ancho chilies, oregano, cumin, thyme, cinnamon and cloves in food processor and puree, adding a little chicken stock if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and saute until meat begins to brown. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil and ancho chili puree to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add remaining chicken stock, sweet potatoes, honey, raisins, pineapple, apple, roasted vegetable puree and chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.