Prep 40 mins
Cook 48 hrs
A chemical free brine for easy home made bacon.
Per 1 cup of warm water
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon whole allspice
- Mix all dry ingredients, add warm water & stir well to dissolve salt & sugar. Let brine stand to cool & infuse for at least a few hours. Inject brine into pork using a marinade injector making sure that your injection sites are close enough together to ensure that all areas of the pork are effected by the brine. soak the pork in remaining brine in an air tight container for 24 to 48 hours turning every 12 hours.
- After soaking, remove pork from brine & rinse before cold smoking or hot smoking to 155 degrees F. or 68 degrees Celsius (bacon in Australia is fully cooked by hot smoking).
- Use pork belly if you like but I use the "chuck" piece of a pork butt, this gives me a tasty piece of pork that is more of a Canadian style bacon that still has some tasty fat through it without being excessive.
- I make 12 cups of brine for this recipe.