1/1 Photo of Makhouda D'aubergine (Crustless Tunisian Eggplant Frittata)
1 hr 15 mins
Source: Kitty Morse's North Africa: The Vegetarian Table, serve as a side dish with a sweet or savory tagine or as a light main course with a fresh green salad. It is a thick, spicy frittata oozing sweetly stewed onions, peppers and eggplant, chunky cubes of gruyère cheese and a wonderfully aromatic spice blend of cinnamon, pepper and rose petals.Tunisians apparently love to stick slices of it inside crusty bread spread with a little harissa and eat it as a sandwich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large globe eggplant
- salt, for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1 handful chopped fresh parsley (about 1/2 cup packed) or 1 coriander or 1 cilantro leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon Tunisian spice blend (bharat) or a mixture of
- 1Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch dice.
- 2Sprinkle generously with salt and place the cubes in a colander to drain for about 20 minutes.
- 3Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200°C
- 5In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the eggplant, onion, and pepper, stirring occasionally until golden and soft, about 20-25 minutes.
- 6Transfer this mixture to a colander to drain off as much of the oil as possible.
- 7In a medium bowl, mix the eggs and add the herbs, garlic, cheese and bread crumbs.
- 8Add the eggplant mixture.
- 9Season with the bharat, salt, and a small spoonful of the optional harissa or cayenne pepper.
- 10Grease a 2-quart soufflé dish.
- 11Pour the egg mixture into the dish and bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown and puffed in the center, 40-45 minutes (a knife inserted into the center should come out clean).
- 12Let cool for 10 minutes before unmolding onto a serving platter (you can also just leave it in the dish).
- 13Cut into wedges or squares to serve.
- 14Serve hot or at room temperature with lemon wedges on the side.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makhouda D'aubergine (Crustless Tunisian Eggplant Frittata)
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 603.1
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 434.4 mg
- Sodium 437.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 33.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: