Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich tomato basic gravy for all times -Sanjeev Kapoor
- 12 large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon kashmiri chili powder
- 1 inch piece gingerroot (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 2 tablespoons sugar or 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Put them in a pressure cooker along with salt, half of the Kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger and two cups of water. Pressure cook till two whistles.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Blend the mixture in a blender and strain.
- Heat butter in a pan, add garlic paste, ginger paste and two tablespoons of water. Cook for a minute.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook for two to three minutes.
- Dry roast the kasuri methi in a microwave or on a tawa. Crush.
- Add the remaining Kashmiri red chilli powder to the gravy along with salt, sugar or honey.
- Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add the crushed kasuri methi and garam masala powder.
- Mix and cook for a minute.
- Add cream only if you need to use the gravy immediately.