Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This cake is not "light", but it is significantly lighter than the original recipe. The recipe is from Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares, melted
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Line 2 9-inch round baking pans with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the applesauce, extract and reserved chocolate mixture (batter will appear curdled).
- Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in pecans and coconut.
- Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and chocolate until blended.
- Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.