Recipe by Lainey39
This cake is not "light", but it is significantly lighter than the original recipe. The recipe is from Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares, melted
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Line 2 9-inch round baking pans with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the applesauce, extract and reserved chocolate mixture (batter will appear curdled).
- Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in pecans and coconut.
- Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and chocolate until blended.
- Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.