This cake is not "light", but it is significantly lighter than the original recipe. The recipe is from Taste of Home's Healthy Cooking magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 (1 ounce) white chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1In small saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- 2Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted.
- 3Cool for 20 minutes.
- 4Line 2 9-inch round baking pans with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- 5Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes.
- 6Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Beat in the applesauce, extract and reserved chocolate mixture (batter will appear curdled).
- 8Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 9Stir in pecans and coconut.
- 10Transfer to prepared pans.
- 11Bake at 350 degrees for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 12Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 13For frosting, in large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and chocolate until blended.
- 14Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
- 15Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
- 16Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 17Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makeover White Christmas Cake
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.5
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.7 mg
- Sodium 200.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 43.8 g
- Protein 5.3 g