Recipe by AmyZoe
This recipe utilizes a cake mix to make a quick easy dessert. It's called a makeover strawberry cake because the recipe was changed to lower the fat and cholesterol. The icing has less sugar and butter and the cake uses less oil. I must confess that I just threw in 4 whole eggs, but I don't think you'd miss the yolks. I also used regular strawberry gelatin instead of sugar-free and fresh strawberries instead of frozen. Recipe from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking June/July 2009. Yummy!
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 3 ounces sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons strawberries, mashed (reserved from cake recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line two 9" round baking pans with waxed paper.
- Coat pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add egg whites and oil and beat until well blended.
- In a small bowl or food processor, mash strawberries in their juice.
- Set aside 3 tablespoons for icing.
- Add water and remaining berries to the batter and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine butter and reserved strawberries.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy.
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Top with half of the icing. Repeat layers.