Recipe by HokiesMom
Low-fat version which uses applesauce. Found in Light & Tasty Mag Feb 07 - submitted by J. Grasby. Nice and light cake.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
This cake has great flavor and a surprisingly rich texture, and for those reasons I give it a 5. I did have a small problem, though...I made it in advance for DH's birthday and froze it since I was out of town until the evening of his bday, and I found that the outside of the cake got pretty dry and chewy (despite airtight freezing). SO, enjoy this yummy cake while it is fresh but I don't suggest freezing it. Also, I increased the recipe by about 1/3 because DH thinks pound cake *has* to be made in a bundt pan to be good LOL. Worked just fine! Thanks for posting! Made for 123 hits tag.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg addition.
- Stir in the applesauce, vanilla and lemon peel.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt together and add to the creamed mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to an 8" loaf pan which has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350F for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.