Recipe by Audrey M
I can't believe how moist this bread is. This recipe came from Light and Tasty Magazine February/March 2006.
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup softened brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2-3 teaspoons nonfat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, cream buter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the egg whites, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bread.