1/1 Photo of Makeover Meringue Coconut Brownies
I found this in Healthy Cooking. Please note I've not had a chance to make this recipe yet and am posting to save the clip out. The magazine claims this reduces the calories and fat of other meringue topped brownies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz total)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed (not a duplicate, this is another portion)
- 1In a small bowl, cream the butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and the sugar until light and fluffy; then beat in vanilla.
- 2Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternatively with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3Press into a 13"x9" baking pan already coated with non-stick spray.
- 4Sprinkle chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts on top.
- 5In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- 6Gradually beat (1 tbsp at a time) the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- 7Spread this mixture over the top of the mix in the pan.
- 8Bake in a 350F oven for 30-35 minutes.
- 9Cool on a wire rack and then cut into 24 bars.
- 10STORE in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makeover Meringue Coconut Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.8
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 90.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 2.4 g