Recipe by HokiesMom
I found this in Healthy Cooking. Please note I've not had a chance to make this recipe yet and am posting to save the clip out. The magazine claims this reduces the calories and fat of other meringue topped brownies.
Top Review by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
These are GORGEOUS, very different from the usual brownies I've made (never made meringue topped brownies before though!). Extremely moreish! Love the meringue topping and the coconut. It's more cake-like texture than brownies. Not too sweet, just right. I had to make a few changes: added in white chocolate instead of semi-sweet and flaked almonds instead of walnuts, since those are what I had. For the meringue topping, I skipped the cream of tartar since I can't seem to get hold of it here, added in a tsp of vanilla extract to the meringue. Thank you, HokiesLady, for sharing this wonderful recipe, definitely will be making these again!
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz total)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed (not a duplicate, this is another portion)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, cream the butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and the sugar until light and fluffy; then beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternatively with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Press into a 13"x9" baking pan already coated with non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts on top.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat (1 tbsp at a time) the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this mixture over the top of the mix in the pan.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and then cut into 24 bars.
- STORE in the refrigerator.