Recipe by MarylandMomof3
A wonderfully rich, yet healthy creamed soup. From Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Dec 2008. You won't believe the richness from a lighter soup. I should mention that being from Maryland, I add Old Bay Seasoning and it takes it right over the top!
- 1⁄2 lb medium raw shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb bay scallop
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, saute shrimp and scallops in 1T of butter until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute veggies in remaining butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return seafood to pan; heat through.