Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A wonderfully rich, yet healthy creamed soup. From Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Dec 2008. You won't believe the richness from a lighter soup. I should mention that being from Maryland, I add Old Bay Seasoning and it takes it right over the top!
- 1⁄2 lb medium raw shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb bay scallop
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- In a dutch oven, saute shrimp and scallops in 1T of butter until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute veggies in remaining butter until tender. Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return seafood to pan; heat through.
Great soup! I made this with a mixed bag of shrimp, calamari, and scallops. I also used white wine and added more cayenne. The soup was great on a cold, rainy day.
Soooooooo Goood. I serve it with garlic bread and dip it in. Soup only gets better the next day, and the next..
wow! best soup i ever made. my celery had gone bad and i didn't have any red sweet pepper. so, i added garlic (i add garlic to everything), doubled the meat, used the "meat broth" to cook the onion/garlic. added chopped clams and a dozen live clams to the boil part, a bunch of old bay, a little more white wine, celery salt since my celery pooped out (so between that and the old bay, i didn't add salt), a little more wine, a big can of crab claw meat. very rich and seafood tasting but very low fat with the skim and i used no fat 1/2 and 1/2.