Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Grandmother's recipe box yielded this one. The Balkan Grill Restaurant in Vienna, Austria is where this dish is from. I would say that Makedonska probably means Macedonia in Slavic language. The cheese used in the original recipe is Kaskaval which is similar to Mozzarella. If you can find it, I recommend using it.
- 4 slices lean pork, 5-6 inches square, thin slices
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, thin slices
- 4 tablespoons pepperoni, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- On one half of each slice of pork lay a slice of cheese, allowing enough meat (about 1/2 inch) on the outside to run a skewer (for grilling) or toothpick (for broiling) through it later.
- Top each with a tablespoonful of the minced pepperoni and fold over the other half of the pork and close with skewer or toothpick.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper and grill over hot fire or grill in the broiler at 450F, 5 min on each side.
- Serve with garlic sauce, made by boiling minced cloves of garlic in beef broth which has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
Thanks CelticevergreeIn, just finished with this entree and was very impressed with the flavors. I made this 2 different ways, with and without the pepperoni, but both were good. I will more than likely make this again. I really enjoyed the sauce, I did make a change, because I found out that I was out of garlic so I put in 1/4 tsp garlic powder in the broth, then garnished with parsley to serve. Thank you for the great recipe. Made for ZWT4 for team CHIC CHEF.