1/2 Photos of Makeahead Breakfast Casserole
Perfect for company, especially Christmas morning! You can add any vegetables you like, but don't add the colorful ones until the last minute. I did that once with the green onion and wound up with green eggs! It's best made with evaporated milk, but you can use milk instead if needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 sweet onion
- 1/2 bell pepper (red or orange)
- 12 -16 ounces reduced-fat pork sausage
- 6 slices French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
- about 1/4 c milk (evaporated milk plus milk should equal 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced baby bella mixed mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Up to 2 days beforehand:.
- 2Fry onion, bell pepper and sausage, drain. Put in ziplock bag in fridge.
- 3Cube bread and leave out uncovered to dry out.
- 4Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper and baking powder. Store in separate ziplock bag in fridge.
- 5Chop green onions and keep in separate small baggie in fridge.
- 6That morning:.
- 7Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 8Grease a 9x9 3" deep casserole dish. (If doubling the recipe, use an 11x11 4" deep casserole dish.).
- 9Place bread over bottom, then sausage mixture, then mushrooms, then cheese, then egg mixture. Don't add green onions yet.
- 10Depending on the size of your bread and veggies, you might need to whisk up a few more eggs and milk to add to the casserole. The egg mixture should come close to covering the other ingredients.
- 11Bake 30 minutes, add green onion and stir, top with remaining cheese, then bake an additional 15 minutes, or until eggs are set.
- 12Remove from oven and let set about five minutes so casserole will firm up a bit.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Makeahead Breakfast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.6
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 172.5 mg
- Sodium 570.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 15.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat pork sausage