Recipe by mailbelle
Use a package of vegetable soup mix to make your own vegetable crackers. From Southern Living. CS
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 (1 ounce) envelopesspring vegetable soup mix (like Knorr)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 4 1/2 cups flour, soup mix, and soda in a large mixing bowl; add butter and egg, beating at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add buttermilk, beating well.
- Stir in enough remaining 1 cup flour to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times.
- Divide dough into fourths; roll each portion into a 10 x 12-inch rectangle (about 1/16 inch thick). Cut into 2-inch squares, using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Prick with a fork and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 400° for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.