Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I searched all over the internet for a recipe to make ice cream with my students... This is the one I decided on. The kids LOVED it. Similar recipes on zaar will not get as "hard" as this one due to the lack of enough ice or salt.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup whipping cream, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla to the quart ziploc bag. Mix the sugar around in the milk mixture.
- Seal the bag securely making sure all the air is out of the bag.
- Put 3 cups of ice into the gallon ziploc bag.
- Add 3/4 cup to 1 cup salt (sodium chloride) to the bag of ice.
- Place the sealed quart bag inside the gallon bag of ice and salt removing excess air from bigger bag.
- Seal the gallon bag securely.
- Rock and squish the gallon bag from side to side. Do not be too rough because the bag may break.
- Also, if the ourside bag springs a leak, place it inside another gallon bag, or just start over with the ice step with another bag.
- It's best to hold it by the top seal or to have gloves or a cloth between the bag and your hands because the bag will be cold enough to damage your skin.
- Continue to rock the bag for 10-15 minutes or until the contents of the quart bag have solidified into ice cream.
- If it does not harden within 15 minutes, add more ice and salt to your bag and continue mixing.