1/2 Photos of Make Your Own Laben (Buttermilk) - the Easier Way!
Um Safia's Note:
This is a quicker way to make laben / buttermilk than my other recipe & is a great way to have a constant supply. Make sure the buttermilk is as fresh as possible. Also make certain your mason jar is spotlessly clean! The amounts here are just your base, as long as you have a ratio of 1 part buttermilk to 4 parts milk you'll get great results. For anyone in the UK wanting to try this, I use a 2 pint bottle of whole milk & a 284ml container of St. Ivel Cultured Buttermilk. I then stand the mix in my kitchen for 24 hours & bingo! Note: If you would like a reallllly thick buttermilk, use 1 part buttermilk & 3 parts milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh cultured buttermilk
- 1 large mason jar
- 1Pour the buttermilk & milk into the mason jar. Screw the lid on tightly & label with the date.
- 2Shake vigorously for a minute.
- 3Leave to sit in the warmest past of your home for 24-36 hours - until it has thickened nicely. You now have buttermilk!
- 4Keep store in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks.
- 5To make more buttermilk, repeat the above steps only using your homemade buttermilk.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Your Own Laben (Buttermilk) - the Easier Way!
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.0
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 19.9 mg
- Sodium 94.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 6.4 g