Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
It is so much cheaper to make this than to buy those little packets of oatmeal. You can make this to your own taste and try it different ways every morning. My kids love this and even my little one eats it (with her hands, yuck!). Serving amounts is a guess.
- 1182.95 ml quick-cooking oatmeal
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- cinnamon, to taste
- nuts, chopped
Add just before serving
- apple, chopped
- maple syrup
- Mix together in a large air-tight container, oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir in nuts and raisins, if desired.
- Store until ready to use.
- To serve, pour desired amount into microwavable bowl.
- Add milk to desired consistency.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave again for 30 seconds.
- Stir in apples and maple syrup, if desired.
I always used to buy the oatmeal packets, but being that I eat oatmeal pretty much every morning for breakfast, I run out quickly and those little packets are expensive (not to mention more sugary than I'd like). So, I loved the idea of making my own oatmeal packets!! I usually mix the quick-cooking oats with soy milk, then add different mix-ins, depending on what I feel like! I've mixed in: apple butter, honey, cinnamon, peanut butter, granola, dried blueberries or other misc. fruit, banana, apple, chocolate chips...it's so fun to experiment and much more versatile than the same flavored packet every morning! Thanks!
Here, I can't get Quaker, just plain oatmeal so I have been making it the same way. Sometimes I add a banana.
Our oatmeal lover/pickest eater ever says that this is "Great!" We didn't add the nuts or raisins this time, but may next time. I also used a little 7-grain oatmeal mixed in with the quick cooking oatmeal for additonal nutrition. May also trying adding powdered dry milk to the mix for more protein. Thank you for saving me money with this recipe!