Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I do encourage you to make your own - the fresh, aromatic flavour can't be beat, and it's very inexpensive to make.
- 226.79 g desiccated coconut (dry)
- 828.06 ml water
- In a medium-sized pot, place dessicated coconut and water.
- Mix and allow to soak for ½ an hour.
- After ½ an hour, turn heat onto low and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave pot on element for ½ an hour.
- After ½ an hour, transfer coconut mixture to blender or processor and process for 45 seconds.
- Put a large sieve over a bowl and empty coconut mixture into it.
- Press down hard on coconut solids with the back of a spoon to remove as much coconut milk as possible.
- This method produces approximately 2 cups of coconut milk.
- Can be made up to 2 days before use in a recipe and refrigerated, covered. The milk will separate in the fridge, forming a creamy ‘fat’ layer on top, and a thinner ‘liquid’ layer underneath. Not to worry, the fat layer will melt into the liquid when heated and form a lovely milk.
With my big bag of coconut from the health food store, I had been wanting to try this recipe since before the tour. It worked very well and it is nice to know that I can whip some milk up when I don't have canned on hand. It is also nice to know that I have no extra additives in my milk. I didn't quite get two cups of milk. Guess I let it simmmer too long...I will be more careful next time. Used this in your Coconut-Caramel Custard and it was very good. Made for ZWT4 S/C America.
I cannot get coconut milk so this was a lifesaver for me!
5 Stars! How many times have I bought coconut milk at the supermarket, used what i needed in a recipe, shoved the rest in the fridge, forgotten about it, and days later thrown it out? NO MORE !!! this recipe is SO easy and the smell... is wonderful. Please see my Rating System: 5 stars for saying goodbye to coconut milk waste for ever! We as a family are trying hard to waste less and recycle more so this fits perfectly into the plan of being better ecological world citizens. I will be using this recipe OFTEN ! Thanks!