I made vanilla ice cream with my students this year, and then came across this recipe that is a bit easier to make.
- Pour the chocolate milk into the quart sized ziploc bag.
- Seal the bag securely making sure all the air is out of the bag.
- Put 3 cups of ice into the gallon ziploc bag.
- Add 3/4 cup to 1 cup salt (sodium chloride) to the bag of ice.
- Place the sealed quart bag inside the gallon bag of ice and salt removing excess air from bigger bag.
- Seal the gallon bag securely.
- Rock and squish the gallon bag from side to side. Do not be too rough because the bag may break.
- Also, if the ourside bag springs a leak, place it inside another gallon bag, or just start over with the ice step with another bag.
- It's best to hold it by the top seal or to have gloves or a cloth between the bag and your hands because the bag will be cold enough to damage your skin.
- Continue to rock the bag for 10-15 minutes or until the contents of the quart bag have solidified into ice cream.
- If it does not harden within 15 minutes, add more ice and salt to your bag and continue mixing.