Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is really simple and fun to do. When having company over, I will make these cheesecake bars and have several toppings... and let my guests build their own cheesecake. Topping such as cherry pie filling, carmel topping, strawberry sauce.. the ideas are endless. I'm sure you can create your favorite cheesecake toppings. My guests love it when I serve this for dessert.
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C).
- To make Pastry:.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the flour and chopped nuts and stir until mixture becomes crumbly. Set aside 1/4 cup to use as a topping.
- Press pastry mixture into 8-inch square pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on rack.
- To make Filling: Beat together the white sugar, and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in the egg, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla and mix well. Spread filling mixture over baked crust. Sprinkle reserved mixture on as a topping.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on wire rack and refrigerate.
- Cut into 9 equal bars and arrange on platter just before serving dessert.
The cheesecake came out really thin and nothing like the picture. The base was the same thickness as the filling! It was probably something I did wrong, but can't work out what! Lovely nonetheless. Thank you