1/5 Photos of Make Your Own Cake Mix
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
I see all these cool recipes using cake mixes and I usually don't have any on hand. I found this recipe on Recipelink.com, where it is credited as being from Make Your Own Groceries. I've used it, and it does the job! There is another cake mix recipe on this site (#182515), but I thought I'd go ahead and post this one since it is slightly different (it's made with shortening, so it can be made ahead and stored in a plastic bag) and it also includes notes for variations. I'm posting a recipe for a chocolate cake mix as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt; stir to blend.
- 2Mix in sugar.
- 3Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks crumbly.
- 4Label and store in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature.
- 5Makes 1 pakage mix. Each package makes two 8 or 9 inch layers or one 9 x 13 x 2 inch rectangle.
- 6To Use:.
- 7Pour 1 package of mix into a mixing bowl;.
- 8add 3/4 cup milk and 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- 9Using either an electric or manual rotary beater, beat at slow to medium speed for two minutes (by hand, beat 3 minutes averaging 135 strokes per minute). Scrape the sides of the bowl frequently as you beat.
- 10Add 2 eggs; beat 1 minute more (2 minutes by hand).
- 11Grease and dust with flour your choice of pan(s); spread batter evenly in pans.
- 12Bake round cake pans at 375 degrees F. for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 13bake the 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 14Cool cake(s) for 10 minutes in their pan(s) before turning out on racks.
- 16WHITE CAKE.
- 17Follow the same directions as for Yellow Cake replacing the 2 eggs with 3 unbeaten egg whites. Use an electric mixer for beating.
- 18SPICE CAKE.
- 19Add to the package of Yellow Cake Mix: 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, and a pinch of ground allspice. Follow Yellow Cake directions.
- 20EXTRACT FLAVORED CAKES.
- 21Replace the vanilla in either the Yellow or White Cake recipes with 2 to 3 teaspoons of the extract of your choice. You may want to add a few drops of food coloring for the flavors like lemon, orange, or cherry, etc.
- 22FRESH ORANGE CAKE.
- 23Pour 1 package of Yellow Cake Mix into a bowl; add 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel (1 teaspoon dried). Squeeze the juice from 1 large orange and add to it enough water to measure 1 cup. Add this orange juice to the mix, beat for 2 minutes as directed previously; add 2 eggs; beat and bake as directed.
- 25Pour cake batter into greased cupcake tins or tins lined with paper baking cups; fill 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- 26Makes about 2 dozen.
- 27NOTE: To prevent a cake from sticking to its pan, put the pan on a wet towel to cool as soon as you take it out of the oven.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Your Own Cake Mix
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.1
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 405.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 31.2 g
- Protein 2.6 g