Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
The best red velvet recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ounce red food coloring (I used AmeriColor Red gel food coloring and didn't measure it out. I just kept adding until it was t)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup butter, unsalted, softened, room temperature
- 2 lbs icing sugar (about 7 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Cake DIrections:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 12 cup muffin pans or line with 20 paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, red food coloring and vanilla. Stir in the baking soda and vinegar. Combine the flour, cocoa powder and salt; stir into the batter just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter and frost with desired frosting.
- Icing Directions:.
- Cream the butter on medium speed until the butter turns whitish and glossy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of icing sugar and mix with the butter on medium speed until its all mixed well and glossy again.
- Add the cream cheese, continue mixing with the electric mixer until everything is well mixed.
- Start adding the rest of the icing sugar, one cup at a time to the mixture, and continue mixing on medium speed.
- When all the sugar is mixed well, add the vanilla extract.
- **The final product should be firm and fluffy, you should be able to see the track marks from the mixer hold their shape in the icing**.