Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It's just plain good.
Make and share this Make You Wanna Slap Your Mama Boston Butt recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -6 lbs boston butt
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 1 (12 ounce) can beef broth or 1 (12 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup hot sauce (not Tabasco, but something like Crystal)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Liberally salt and pepper the butt and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Get a cast iron Dutch oven very hot and sear the butt very well on all sides; set aside.
- With a small paring knife, make incisions deep enough all around the butt to insert a clove of garlic into each.
- Put the butt back in the Dutch oven and place the rest of the ingredients around it.
- If your pot doesn't have a very tight fitting lid, you will want to wrap the whole thing in tin foil. Otherwise, just place the lid on it and throw it in the oven for 6-8 hours.
- If you don't have that kind of time, you can cook it at a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time or you can do it overnight for 8-10 hours at a lower temperature.
- You can't overcook this piece of meat as long as there is sufficient liquid in it.
- You'll want to check it periodically to make sure there is still a good amount of liquid.
- Cook it until it falls apart.
- This makes a delicious broth that is wonderful on its on or as a base to a good BBQ sauce.