Recipe by LonghornMama
From the Houston Chronicle, in response to a reader request. Very basic mac and cheese with mild flavor. When baked, the top gets nice and crunchy. Perfect for OAMC as directions for baking from frozen are included. Also very economical. I usually keep several foil pans of this in my freezer and throw one in the oven when roasting a chicken for a super easy meal. I like extra cheese on top.
Top Review by Steph_40135
I found the sauce did not have a great taste. Not sure what happened when everyone else reviewed it with such great reviews. I have a second one to bake still, so if it is better, I will resubmit my review.
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons chicken flavor instant bouillon
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 5 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded, divided (about 4 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan or Dutch oven. Whisk in flour, bouillon and dry mustard. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bouillon dissolves and mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Add 2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Stir in macaroni. Turn into two lightly greased 1 1/2 quart baking dishes. Top each with one cup shredded cheese. Bake one dish 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Cover second dish tightly with aluminum foil; freeze.
- To bake frozen macaroni and cheese: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake frozen casserole uncovered one hour or until bubbly and hot in center. (These are the directions in the original recipe; however, I usually bake covered so it won't dry out, then uncover at end to crisp up the top. If you choose to bake covered, allow for extra baking time.).